Understanding National Express Group
National Express Group is a leading transport provider delivering services in the UK, North America and Spain.
Our key strengths
We have a diversified portfolio of bus, coach and rail businesses operating in international markets. Some of the key strengths of this portfolio include:
- Market leadership - in most of our markets we have strong or exclusive positions and compete primarily with other forms of transport, such as the car or plane. We are market leader in West Midlands bus and have a 60% share of the UK scheduled coach market with our National Express brand;
- Market knowledge - we have a deep understanding of and expertise in managing regulated concessions, which provide price protection, service exclusivity and stability;
- Relationships - we have extensive experience in managing long-term contractual relationships;
- Quality international assets - National Express uniquely benefits from a balanced exposure to the UK, Spain and North America, in bus, coach and rail. This portfolio provides a balance - economic growth, political environment and regulation can all vary. For example, recent uncertainty over UK government funding and austerity in Spain has been offset by growth in Morocco and our North America businesses. These high quality assets offer access to many mass transport opportunities, as many countries move to liberalise their markets;
- Cash generation - our businesses balance cash generation with capital investment. Whilst North America school bus is capital intensive, for example, UK rail uses limited capital. We direct investment towards areas that generate higher returns.
Our strategy will develop the unique attributes of this business portfolio in four stages:
1. Delivering operational excellence
is crucial to our goal of achieving best-in-class margins
2. Driving organic growth
by offering better products and services and by winning new bid opportunities
3. Generating superior cash & returns
through focused investment and operating in capital-light markets
4. Delivering new opportunities
leveraging the Group's expertise and diverse portfolio
National Express Group: At a glance
The Group operates in the UK, North America, Spain and Morocco and employs 42,000 people and operates over 25,000 vehicles.
Passengers make more than 800 million journeys on our services every year.
Our Spanish business, ALSA, operates long distance, regional and urban bus and coach services across Spain and in Morocco.
ALSA was acquired by National Express in 2005, and our position in Spain was strengthened with the acquisition of Continental Auto in 2007. Apart from its market-leading bus and coach services, the business also operates service areas and other transport-related businesses, such as fuel distribution..
The main focus of our business in North America is student transportation and operates in 32 US states and four
The business is the second largest private operator of school buses in North America. We are also building the number of transit and para-transit contracts we operate in the US.
The business operates through medium-term contracts awarded by local school boards to provide safe and reliable transport for students.
Centralised shared services delivered from the Illinois head office support local operational delivery.
National Express is the market leader in the UK's largest urban bus market outside of London. We operate more than 1,600 vehicles and cover over 70 million miles per year. We also run bus services in Coventry and Dundee and operate the Midland Metro light rail service between Birmingham and Wolverhampton.
National Express Coaches is the largest operator of scheduled coach services in the UK. The business operates high frequency services linking over 1,000 destinations across the country, including major cities and airports.
We are the UK partner in the Eurolines network which serves over 500 destinations across Europe and North Africa.
National Express currently operates the industry-leading c2c franchise in the UK, which serves destinations in South Essex and East London.